Search This Blog

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Red Oak House Garden Notes no. 47: The Daylilies are Waning

Peak daylily bloom here at Red Oak House has passed and I can't help but feel a bit wistful about this.

Dakota Sunshine daylily


The focus of this past July has been daylilies of all kinds, and not just in my garden. Late in the month, I took in an exhibit of daylily art at Bismarck Art Gallery Associates, where it was delightful to see the creative talents of friends on display.




Later that week, the Region One Daylily Association had its annual gathering in Bismarck/Mandan, an event that the Central Dakota Daylily Association (I'm a member) has been planning for years. I was truly in the presence of some hard-core daylily enthusiasts and it was great fun (I confess that I bought three new varieties). I even got to meet Melanie Mason, one of the nation's premier daylily hybridizers. I own a few of her creations.



Melanie Mason and Lillian


Here is a wrap-up of some of my daylily photos since my last blog. Now it is time to focus on canning and freezing vegetables and preparing for autumn garden chores.

Webster's Pink Wonder daylily

Lemon Meringue Twist daylily

Bama Music daylily

Ruffled Rainbow daylily

Gavin Petit daylily

Canyonlands daylily

Chicago Scintillation daylily

Prairie Moonlight daylily


Little Light of Mine daylily

Strawberry Cream Cupcake daylily

Raspberry Griffin daylily



Just Plum Happy daylily




Best For Last daylily

Huckleberry Candy daylily

Notify Ground Crew daylily


Prairie Home Companion daylily

Northwind Dancer daylily with Orange Rocket barberry in background

Swiss Mint daylily

Rock Around the Clock daylily

Gavin Petit daylily

Carnival in Mexico daylily

Burgess Blackmoor daylily

Rocket City daylily

Orchid Elegance daylily
Cherokee Pass daylily

I've had a few people ask for panoramic shots of my garden so I shot some video one evening. Here are two links: Starting in the front yard and the backyard

Later this month (Aug. 21), Red Oak House is on the Bis/Man garden tours. Sadly, these folks won't get to see the daylilies, but there is the promise of asters and mums, and the zinnias that have survived the slug slaughter look very nice. Oh well, they can always read this blog. 

Webster's Pink Wonder daylily with my hand for reference
Chili Spice daylily

Colorado Moonfire daylily

Wide Wide World daylily, one of my favorites
Lindy Twirl daylily

No comments:

Post a Comment