Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Red Oak House Garden notes no. 17

Back to Red Oak House garden notes for the summer of 2017 in Bismarck, North Dakota.
This tree peony given to me by my friend Bob Martinson three years ago has become one of my favorites, not only for its yellow beauty but also because it is a symbol of the generosity of a fellow gardener.

My sister and I agreed that now that our gardens are in full bloom, we can't think of many places we'd rather be than in our yards, pulling weeds, deadheading, harvesting vegetables, and just enjoying the fruits of our labors.

The irises are still in full bloom and the peonies have begun.
Caesar's Brother Iris


Berry Fulfilling Iris
Other perennials have begun to blossom. I missed the first daylily when we were in the Bad Lands, but there are hundreds more to come, so all is well.

May Night Salvia

Moonshine Yarrow
Harlem Reblooming Poppy

Peony. I have fuschia, white and pink in the garden.
Sunday night we ate the first of Jim's lettuce with the first tomato.  Monday, more fresh walleye.  Life is good.

Did I mention I love yellow?

Arizona Sun and Amber Wheels gallardia
Barberry

Here Comes the Sun Iris
3/4 of an inch of glorious rain in the night.  Did I mention that we are richly blessed?  We awake to morning coffee and give thanks that the drought is at least partially broken.  Time for me to do some weeding.

"Put your ear down close to your soul and listen hard." Anne Sexton

No comments:

Post a Comment