Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Red Oak House garden notes no. 24

Perhaps my favorite daylily, Wide Wide World. I placed it right next to the patio for maximum enjoyment
1/3" of rain in a wondrous thunderstorm this morning started the day off right here at Red Oak House.  For the second day in a row, it will be cool enough for us to leave the windows open all day.

Vegetable harvest has begun in earnest and Jim has frozen many bags already.

Second harvest of broccoli

The bean processing station
Bloody Butcher heirloom tomato

Last night we had what we call "nothing from the store supper". The first new potatoes, beans, broccoli, and walleye.  Who needs a restaurant?


As you can see from the plate above, we've begun to eat our heirloom tomatoes.  These are bloody butchers.  The jungle promises much more tomato bliss to come.

Healthy tomato patch
These peas are going to be so yummy with butter!

Other blooming plants make our garden a real oasis of tranquility in the midst of a bustling city.

Yellow Titan Daylily

Gold Drop Hosta

Little Rocket Ligularia

Good old Petunias

More good old Petunias 

Salvia I started from seed this winter.  Bring on the hummingbirds

Rosy Returns Daylily ("returns" because it is a rebloomer)

Ice Carnival Daylily

Aglow Daylily

Strawberry Candy Daylily

Prairie Moonlight Daylily

Barbara Mitchell Daylily

Paha Sapa Thundercloud


The Red Oak tree has begun to drop acorns, littering the driveway with crunchy nuggets

Blue Cadet Hosta

A sweet Begonia that was a gift from a friend

Impatiens are finally blooming





On a different note, this song I've been listening to on Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic is running through my head:

 "Everyman".

Everybody I talk to is ready to leave
With the light of the morning
They've seen the end coming down
Long enough to believe
That they've heard their last warning
Standing alone
Each has his own ticket in his hand
And as the evening descends
I sit thinking 'bout Everyman
Seems like I've always been
Looking for some other place
To get it together
Where with a few of my friends
I could give up the race
And maybe find something better
But all my fine dreams
Well thought out schemes
To gain the motherland
Have all eventually come down
To waiting for Everyman
Waiting here for Everyman
Make it on your own if you think you can
If you see somewhere to go I understand
Waiting here for Everyman
Don't ask me if he'll show, baby I don't know

In different lighting, Wide Wide World daylily, shows off different hues so why not one more photo? It's my blog after all.

The first Wide Wide World daylily blooms of the season, taken in twilight
Time for Manhattans in the shade of the front patio.  Cheers!

Jim is enjoying the round ice cubes molds the girls gave him for Father's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment