Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2017

My Grandma Lillie's Quilt and My Mother's Bedroom Furniture

In the smaller bedroom of our master bedroom suite at Red Oak House, in the winter, I have as a coverlet the quilt made by my namesake, my Grandma Lillie, probably sometime in the mid 1960s.  My mother, Marian, can still tell me about each piece of fabrics' original use, the dresses and aprons and shirts, which were re-purposed by my frugal grandmother into this quilt.  The bedroom furniture was a gift from her parents to my mother when she turned sixteen.  I've refinished it.  Quality pieces last many lifetimes.  I think I sleep better on long North Dakota winter nights under this quilt.  I love the color yellow.  On the walls seen in this picture are the posters of noted North Dakota artist Walter Piehl for a real mix of early twentieth century and late twentieth century North Dakota arts.  The book of daily Tao meditations was a gift from a great friend Steve Robbins, of Kansas.

 In this picture Lizzie, our endlessly amusing Springer Spaniel, snores away on the floor rug, a frequent barrier to our to-ing and fro-ing.   She's had a rather boring winter so far and doesn't give one wit about Tao meditations or quilts, but when we leave her home alone, she does like to jump up on the bed and take a nap, so I try to remember to close the doors to this room when I leave.  If there is a reincarnation, I want to come back as Jim's Springer Spaniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment