Search This Blog

Monday, January 8, 2018

Red Oak House Winter Notes No. 2: Owls

Here at Red Oak House, in the wooded Highland Acres neighborhood of Bismarck, we like owls very much. We frequently have Great Horned owls and Eastern screech owls in our large blue spruce and green ash trees.

Many years ago, my brother, Thomas, took me to Yorktown, Virginia, where I bought this wonderful wooden Snowy owl at street arts and crafts fair. (Thomas looked at my a little sideways that I would buy a hunk of wood, but it "spoke to me" and I've never regretted the purchase.)



Last February, at the suggestion of our friend Alan, who is a great owl enthusiast, I rounded up our friends, Jeff and Linda, to help me build three owl nests, to encourage the owls to stick around our yard. Jeff and Linda opted to not take a nest home because they had Cooper's hawks nesting in their yard the previous summer and did not want to risk conflicts, so I gave the extra two nests to friends, Mike and Bill. So far, no nesting in any three of these nests.


Just before Christmas, Jim and I took out the ladder and put some beef soup bones into the nest in an effort to encourage the owls. We laugh at the thought that we give our neighbors something to scratch their heads about, wondering just what we might be up to now, messing around in the tall green ash tree in December. Our Springer Spaniel, Lizzie, was quite perplexed as to why she wasn't getting these meaty bones. When one dropped to the ground, she seized it and we relented, knowing she would snap at us if we attempted to take it away.

For Christmas, I gave Jim a wonderful screech owl nest box and today, while there was a break in the weather, we mounted the box, at the opposite side of the backyard from the great horned owl nest. We had to use both ladders and I held the box while he secured it, as suggested by the craftsman who created it.



When I was a young mother, two of my children's favorite books were Owl Moon, which I've written about before, and Owl Babies. To this day, my children and nieces and nephews can recite the lines from this charming book, the story of three owlets who grow alarmed when the mother owl leaves to hunt. Here is an animated reading of the book.



Our friends, the Suchys, are as fond of owls as anyone I know and they have many nesting owls at their ranch in Morton County. Linda Suchy has formed a powerful bond with her great horned owls. I look forward to her owl reports, including sightings of the grand Snowy owl. This PBS Nature program on Snowy owls is a great delight and I give it my highest recommendation.

A few years ago, there was a big irruption of snowy owls in North Dakota and we drove around the rural roads in Morton County finding many. At this time, our daughter, Chelsea, was a student at Dickinson State University, so I met her halfway between our two towns for a day of Snowy owl watching. We must have seen about nine that day, her first sightings.

Another memorable Snowy owl day for me was that same winter. My friend Valerie had not yet seen these thus we went hunting southeast of Bismarck and found one, perched on a power pole. Valerie was thrilled, and I was equally as thrilled to have been able to find one for her.

One winter, Jim and I made two separate trips to northeastern North Dakota, once to see a hawk owl and the other time to see barn owls. Many a night we've laid in our tent listening to owls hooting above us at campgrounds all around the country. When we were living in Medora, we found a tiny western screech owl perched in a juniper at Cottonwood campground at Theodore Roosevelt National Park and it was quite a delight to take Chelsea to see it, blending into that juniper in a magical way.

Several times I have participated in northern saw-whet owl banding at Theodore Roosevelt National Park, led by the Bird Conservancy of the Rockies, and, once, took my daughter, Chelsea, with me. You can see the joy on her face when she got to hold one of these tiniest of owls. She says it is one of her happiest memories, she who loves the Harry Potter books and movies so. The banding programs have added greatly to the knowledge of saw-whet owls. Turns out, the Little Missouri River valley is a major migration corridor for them.



Owl folk art holds a prominent place in the Library of Red Oak House, with this trio of wooden owls on a top shelf looking down upon us


and a beautiful white woolen mother owl with her owlet in a pouch which I purchased in Winnipeg some years ago. It is called an "owl packing doll" and was handmade by the Canadian Inuk artist Fait a la Main, from the community of Holman, in 2004.  When I saw it on thestore shelf, I fell in love.


In the future, I hope to see two other species of owl: the elf owl and the great grey owl, both of which will require some travel. A trip to Manitoba, Jim?

I leave you with this poem "The Owl" by Edward Thomas

Downhill I came, hungry, and yet not starved;
Cold, yet had heat within me that was proof
Against the North wind; tired, yet so that rest
Had seemed the sweetest thing under a roof.

Then at the inn I had food, fire, and rest,
Knowing how hungry, cold, and tired was I.
All of the night was quite barred out except
An owl's cry, a most melancholy cry

Shaken out long and clear upon the hill,
No merry note, nor cause of merriment,
But one telling me plain what I escaped
And others could not, that night, as in I went.

And salted was my food, and my response,
Salted and sobered, too, by the bird's voice
Speaking for all who lay under the stars,
Soldiers and poor, unable to rejoice.


No comments:

Post a Comment